Because I Love Him

“So why are you with him? You could do so much better.”Nods of agreement are shared around the table mused with their own opinions. “He just doesn’t seem like your type from what I’ve seen.”Type? Why must we categorize people and place them into constricting social expectations? Personally, I love the way he isn’t afraid to express who he is, even if that includes topics that are considered as “nerdy.” He has inspired me to be confident in myself to be unapologetic for who I am and what I love to do, so there’s no way I’m apologizing for loving him. “He just seems a bit… weird is all.” Sure, make fun of him for the way he dresses or his quirky habits, but oh god, if you only knew him the way I do, I’m sure you’d fall for him too. These “flaws” you see are the things that I love about him, because they’re what makes him, well, him. Sure, he stutters, which may seem weird to you, but I can listen to him talk all day. He has this way with words that just takes my breath away, and when problems arise we are able to communicate effectively and talk things through. “I bet he doesn’t even know how to treat you right.”Just because we don’t do what “normal” couples do does not mean that we don’t have a loving relationship. He respects me and is always making sure that I consent to whatever we’re doing, which nowadays is a trait I rarely find in a man. He stays up with me on the nights I feel anxious even though we both know his body is begging him to sleep just so he can make sure I don’t go to bed in a terrible mood. He willingly watches the cheesy romantic movies that he claims he hates watching. “He’s a tad bit ugly isn’t he?”No, what’s ugly is you judging him because of the way he looks. Your personal lack of physical attraction does not allow you to call him anything less than a handsome human being. The way he carries himself despite facing constant judgement has taught me that a person’s lack of acknowledgement for my attractiveness, does not degrade it; they just don’t see what others may see. He makes me feel beautiful.“You are way out of his league.”These social constructs made by society is completely nonsensical. Furthermore, I thought this idea died when we graduated onto high school. Why must people be limited to loving those that they are grouped? Love is not something that you can force onto someone and and it is not something you cannot control. If anything, he’s out of my league as I do not deserve to have such a wonderful person loving me.Why am I with him you ask? Because I love him.