The Color Green

We live in a land divided by race, where people pretend not to see each other’s’ color, where everyone cares only about themselves, there’s no love left for one another. An age we are in, where lack of money could come between, a person receiving medicine to save their health, when did life become less important than paper that’s the color green?

The anthem we swear to calls this the land of the free, tells us justice is sewn into the flag that we hail, and yet meanwhile the system privatizes prisons, and makes money by putting our youth in jail. The color of our skin and the city where we’re born, could make us even more likely to end up there, low income cities like Flint won’t receive clean water, and yet the system wants us to think it’s fair.

The way that people view one another, is driven far too heavily by skin color, politicians in power and news anchors that banter, must divert their agendas from race-dividing propaganda. As a young person with dark skin, I see how government works not for us, roads and schools are “gifted” to us, through a tax system that is porous. Nothing in this country is free, certainly not when you look like me, if we are to reach equality, our hearts should focus less on money.

Now, don’t get me wrong, a good economy is essential, but rampant income inequality limits this country’s potential. Trickle-down economics has seen the best of its days, it’s time for us to distribute income in new ways.

Be fair to one another, treat each other with respect, do good deeds with kindness in mind, not just what you’ll get. This country has a problem, that stems down to its roots, not enough power is given to the people, too much money is given to the men in suits.

Policies and laws will come thereafter, but what is most essential to look at what really matters. Divided by wealth, divided by race, why do we call this the United States? We must force ourselves to look past skin color, look past our own wallets, and focus on each other. This country is called a melting pot but little does that mean, so long as the United States are only united by the color green.