counting backwards

three:

Sylina glared at me across the table as I ordered food for the boys. I struggled to meet her gaze, so I nervously bent & re-bent the straw I was holding. when our table's food arrived, I had a friend jokingly order me a to-go box to take attention away from the fact that I was going to have nothing in front of me. I piled the orders into the box when it showed up, & that was the last time I touched food all night.

two:

"what kind?" Sarah asked without missing a beat. I choked on the works like I choked when swallowing food. "cutting calories?" I nodded. "over-exercising?" I nodded. "obsessively weighing?" I laughed & ducked my head down out of shame. "I'm almost there," I replied quietly. "ten more pounds and I'm done." she caught my eye & she understood. 

one:

I felt like a wild animal cornered. crying without restrain, I told my mother everything, prompted by her stern questions. eventually, she gave way to anger & I shouted back loud enough to draw my father downstairs. I immediately regretted telling them. I don't think it's fixable at this point. hell, maybe I don't want to fix it. 

zero:

"good lord, I feel like I'm dying."