Ethics

Today, America faces an uphill battle or should I say battles. Ethical battles. The definition of ethics is the moral principles that govern a person's behavior or the conducting of an activity. Now ask yourself is the United States really the land of the free and the home of the brave ? After barring citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries, ramping up enforcement against illegal immigrants, trying to overturn same-sex marriage and abortion rights, and many more and I say many more examples of injustice acts, would you consider our home unethical ? This results in division along the lines of politics, identity and race. And we certainly cannot forget about our environment. Emission of greenhouse gases has been rising and causing global warming and climate change. We are not only unfair to our neighbors, but also to our earth. Demonstrations, marches, public meetings (rallies) and sit-ins are classic, and potentially powerful ways of expressing public opinion on an issue and it is happening right now across the United States from Women's marches to our very own DISD's high school marches for immigration. Ideally moral theories, moral reasoning, and intellectual virtues can lead to moral knowledge. If this ideal is not reached, then we still attain better moral beliefs. Once we know right from wrong we can potentially be motivated to do the right thing. If we do exactly just that, this uphill battle will no longer be, and we the people will come out victorious. Be ethical. Be positive. Be you.