The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Sun, 02/11/2018 - 19:25 -- Zman21

Dear Whom It May Concern,

Let’s first start with the good things about wrestling. Wrestling has shaped me into someone who’s dedicated. There were times where I felt I was at the top of the world and I celebrated. I learned how to be self-reliant and hard working. After every win, I would be smirking. My coaches guided me and taught me how to be a good teammate. I wrestled very well as a lightweight when I had to lose weight. I made many new friends at a school in an area I’ve never been. My teammates and I would bond even close after every win. My first three years I felt like I was on the top of the world. However, things changed and I had the feeling like I had hurled.

Now comes the bad elements of this sport. There were times where I felt like I had no support. At times, my coaches would yell at me and punish the team. I felt trapped in the sport and all I could do is scream. There were the times we lost, and our team was exhausted. Coaches would give me no praise; all I could do is watch my team with a blank gaze. The coaches would show favoritism to a few kids at times. Now the only way I can tell my true feeling about this sport is through these rhymes. Not only were there the good times and bad times, but there were the ugly parts of this sport too.

Some parts of wrestling are gruesome to some, while others find it to be super fun. I had some injuries through my years, but not as bad as a kid who’s paralyzed from wrestling and is full of tears. The kid’s name is Ryan Joseph and he was paralyzed from the neck down about 20 feet away from where I was wrestling on that day. Ever since this moment, his life as well as his family’s lives won’t ever be the same way. Another kid my freshman lost feeling in his legs for a month. All I ever remember is how we were stunned.

Overall, there are many ups and downs about wrestling. There are the times you feel amazing or the times where it is very depressing. There will be many encounters that could alter your future. Hopefully, it will make your life cooler.

Sincerely,

Nick Zeller-Singh