My Nightmare

I lie in this bed waiting for the dreams to start. The waking dreams begin and as I glimpse the chaos, I breakout in a cold sweat. The tremors start, and I can't stop the plummet into sleep I fall into. In the unfortunate event i have succumbed to the dark sleep.

In the swirling abyss of the mind I lose my sanity. I see, yet am unable to glimpse anything. I hear, but cannot listen. In this total blackness I hear the screams. The wailings of desperation stop the beatings of my soft heart. My listlessness is what pronounces my living.

I can hear the screams no longer. I feel something against my tender neck. Teeth flash brightly through the eternal night. Echoes of my screams are heard only by me as I am still forever alone. This feeling of things unknown doesn't exist, yet seems so realistic.

Echoes of screams and sobs, continues through the darkness. Broken only by the snapping of bones and the gnashing of teeth. I burn, yet see no flame. Flames of unending pain are what drive my sickness. Sickness I can't run or hide from. Music rings out and slows the pace of hearts. Just as quickly  as it came it was gone, only to be replaced by the screeching of nail on bone.

My mind I have lost, so has my mind lost me. The teeth still inside my body create spurts of shining blood in my vision. My vision blurs, yet returns from no blood loss. Everything known is imagined  and the opposite applies.  

I have lost myself inside my own mind. I can't escape my prison. My prison is my mind. To escape is the oblivion that i came from. Oblivion does seem like the way to escape my mind. Even then I won't escape completely. I may leave some, but I will carry over most of my insanity.

How do you find a sane thought in a lost mind? You can't. I am proof. Broken is the spirit, and lost is the mind. I am both, and yet I am sane within my insanity. aware and unaware both.

In my attempt to gain sanity music appears. When I lose my grasp on the bank, a roaring river sweeps me further away than I was before. Desperation wins out as I settle into the cracks of my soul. I am death itself and yet I am as alive as the next person. In this place I feel old, but I am youthful like a lamb ready for the slaughter.

I can feel a noose against my neck that is digging in, and driving the teeth in further. I am also in a museum watching myself hang from the dusty bones of a giant. This giant opens its eyes and gobbles me up before I can squeak. I feel every crunch of its teeth piercing my body.

When I next awake I see a person. They are lost in light, and I in darkness. I reach out to grasp their hand, but as I feel their fingertips, they become nothing more than smoke. I am left with the inhalation of ash.

A morning sun arrives and I leave that hellish place behind. These neverending images that are seared into my mind still haunts me, as I am awake. I am alive and awake, still dreading the night, as I wait for nightmares of day to begin.

Poetry Slam: