one day

I have resided in the city of El Monte, a small low, socio-economic immigrant community just 10 miles east from Downtown Los Angeles, my entire life. My father is a plumber, working mainly in the affluent homes of Pasadena. Occasionally he enjoys driving my sister’s and I through these communities to proudly boast about the work he has done, although we know we may never be able to afford such a luxury. I appreciate his efforts therefore, my hard work and devotion to education; I dedicate to him. My father is aware he must provide for his family and although he has diabetes and should occasionally abstain from working, he lies about his health and endures. My family of four has been forced to cram into a small apartment my entire life and although I would prefer a quiet workspace, my living conditions do not allow for it. Therefore, I am up working during quiet hours of the night finishing homework assignments and studying for upcoming tests. These hours have resulted in projects I am deeply proud of. Nevertheless, I have been able to maintain my high GPA of above a 3.0. Since my two sisters and I share a bedroom, I am oftentimes forced to complete hours worth of work on the couch. My lonely nights have pushed me to wonder whether my efforts in school will eventually pay off. However, the unity of my family helps me persevere through such doubtful thoughts and I am reminded of the struggles my dad overcomes in order to provide for our family. The obstacles my household situation and my community have set for me, have shaped who I am today. I have turned my disadvantages into my advantages: I accept challenges head on and thrive. Everyday I am reminded of my family’s struggles and I strive to alleviate my father’s financial stress . One day I will provide my family their own personal space with a house similar to the ones we constantly gaze at through our car window.