What I Would I Change?

I remember the sound of happy voices echoing throughout the building.

I remember the sense of love and belonging I felt the moment I stepped through the doors; the feeling of not belonging and the laughter of those who tormented me, melting away once the sounds of music and the movement of bodies colided into me.

I remember the feeling of the cold marble floor that I would sit on with my fellow classmates, waiting for class to start or for an idea to come to us.

I can still feel my fingers dance across the black and white piano keys, creating art on silence. My pain leaving my body and turning into beauty.

And I can still remember the exact moment when almost everything was taken away.

We were called into our auditorium, the entire school. A mix of musicians and artists and dancers all eager to get back to mastering their craft.

Our principal stood before us and with a somber tone gave us the news.

"Accourding to them art isn't important. Accourding to them, this school doesn't give provide a real education. Accourding to them, we aren't worth the money to keep this school going.

We're on our own."

I remember silence. No one made a sound. Like air leaving a balloon, the entire student body reached the same conclusion all at the same time, we're on our own.

I went home and cried for hours, fearing the worst. That once again I would be forced to spend my entire life in a place that didn't care if I made it out the other end; another nameless face either destined to fail or pass.

Weeks turned into months. Fundraisers and donations and bake sales. Car washes and calanders and beneifit shows. Tears and sweat and prayers.

Accourding to them we weren't worth saving, so instead we chose to save ourselves. We didn't have a choice, and still don't. But we made it out the other end, because we knew. We knew our worth even if no one else did.

I can still remember the exact moment when almost everything was taken away.

Accourding to them, we're on our own.

That needs to change today.

almost honest.

I went to the Fine Arts Center, which is a charter arts high school for four years, without it there is no way I would be who I am today. My sophomore year, our funding was cut by the district because we were told that arts education isn't important. My school was able to raise the money ourselves through a lot of work and dedication to our school. If I could change one thing, I would stop the cutting of arts education funding. This poem was writting about the moments before and during I almost lost the best thing that has ever happened to me.