An estimated 11-20% of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans suffer from posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Researchers find that about 30% of Vietnam Veterans and 10% of Gulf War Veterans also struggle with PTSD.
- Create a poem for a veteran.
- Think about how you feel about veteran service.
- Put those feelings into a poem. Your poem doesn't have to be addressed to any one in particular.
- You don't have to wait till veteran's day to send your poem.
- Get in contact with the Department of Veteran Affairs or look up a veteran center in the directory.
- Perform, mail or email your poem to IAVA.org or local center.
- Finally submit your poem on powerpoetry.org and share it with your friends.