5 Souls, 2 Families, 1 Heart

Kaleigh Kelso

Free Verse

5 Souls, 2 Families, 1 Heart

When I was 4, Corey Elizabeth came in my life. We hadn’t been anything but Sunday school classmates to each other, but it only took a year for her to become my stepsister. We had our laughs, we had our cries. Some say it’s hard to believe, but there we were, now here we are. 15 years old. Just Me and Corey, Corey and Me. And that’s the way it was. 2 souls, 2 families, 1 heart.

It wasn’t until I was 11 that soul number 2 strolled around the block. It wasn’t until May of 2006 that Amelia Rose Stumpe became my half-sister on my mothers’ side. Amelia’s presence captured my heart and there it stayed. We had our laughs, and we had our smiles. Looking at how different we look, some say it’s hard to believe we are related, but there we were, and here we are. 4 and a half years old. Just Corey, Amelia, and Me. Me, Corey, and Amelia. And that’s the way it was. 3 souls, 2 families, 1 heart.

Beautiful soul number 3 came the very next year. 3 days before my birthday, she became  my little birthday wish. Kylynn Morgan Kelso March 7, 2007. My very same initials, my very same blood. My second half sister, the last of just us girls. No one says its hard to believe that we are related, since we look so much alike…but there we were, and here we are. 3 and a half years old. Just Corey, Amelia, Kylynn, and Me. Me, Corey, Amelia, and Kylynn. And that’s the way it was. 4 souls, 2 families, 1 heart.

It took leaps of faith, prayers of hope, and a year of waiting before I met Nathanael Robert Stumpe. Neither my flesh or blood, yet family all the same. Adopted from California at birth, he gave me a reason to keep going. His smiles light up my room, and fill the house with glee. Some say it’s hard to believe that we got so lucky with such an amazing and healthy boy, but there we were, and here we are. 6 and a half months old. Just, Nate, Kylynn, Corey, Amelia, and Me. Me, Corey, Amelia, Kylynn, and Nate. And that’s the way it was.  5 souls, 2 families, 1 heart.