Am I pretty yet ?

I injected my soul with meaningless concepts of beauty and love that I borrowed from mainstream media and magazine covers.
Am I pretty yet?
I abandoned the nature of my brown for a lighter complex to match society's standards
Am I pretty yet?
I ignored the organic beauty of my physique and jumped into artificial hips, lips, and booty to become Hollywood presentable 
Am I pretty yet?
I masked all my insecurities into men's bed sheets defined and confined love into a three letter word, not God. 
Am I pretty yet?
I subjected myself to the abuse and misuse of devaluing self worth by forgetting to be the chase and exploiting my body to be " bad"
Am I pretty yet?
I measured my worthiness by level of " thick". I chose flesh over spirit. I neglected my temple and forfeited my thrown so that people would notice me. See? 
Am I pretty yet?
Oh wait...I am pretty...pretty sure that being pretty by anybody's definition other than my creator wasn't worth losing me pretty sure I was born who I was supposed to be. 

imhere2create

This was beautifully written. This is honestly how most females think and it bothers the hell out of me.  I hope you're not one of them. That'd be a shame.

Poetically_Lifted

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it. This piece is the exact opposite of my thought process, but I see this ideal all too much in young girls and women. It has to change and I needed to ilustrate that somehow. 

MVP-Most Valuable Poet

amazing poem overall

this message is essential that young girls, women love themselves

those that truly accept a person for who one is are genuine

gubler.katie

I  really like this!