The Baltimore I Know

Baltimore

Old roads and new hoes, you know how this essay goes. Crime rampant on the streets. Homeless men, calloused feet.Overdoses, opiates. Young people with too much hate.Gun violence, death from crime. Fathers dead, daughter crying.AAVE, shade, and tea. No one here lives happily. That’s the Baltimore I know, walking on this broken road. / Ghettos with high-school thieves, that come from shitty parenting.Gentrified Canton like, those who live there: young and white.Or Canton’s industrial side, train tracks and salt for miles.Fells Point eateries, and scenic places; Harbor East.Federal Hill, work in progress. Nothing y’all can do can stop this.That’s the Baltimore I know, walking on this broken road. / Rioting and damaged windows, we all know how all this shit goes.Activists, angry and armed, unaware they’re causing harm.Baltimore ain’t just a city, Baltimore is also a county.Jews hiding in the shadows, out in Pikesville; that’s our home.Hate crimes happening to Jews but they don’t show it on the news. That’s the Baltimore I know, walking on this broken road. / Owings Mills, filled with shills, sex, fast food, and road kill.Living out there in the boonies with my two dogs who love me.Yeah, my mom lives in the county and my dad lives in the city.County mouse and city mouse, each day in a different house.Some nights I go sleep to sirens, sometimes I sleep to guns firing.That’s the Baltimore I know, walking on this broken road. / Crazy people, crazy thoughts, lazy students, angry moms.Free lunch, but no food. Growing up in the hood.BSA, art schools, MICA with their art fools.Graffiti murals on the walls like fight that break out in the halls.Politics in the extreme; if you ain’t left, you can’t be seen.That’s the Baltimore I know, walking on this broken road.