Because You were a Josephine

On December 14, 2012 America lost 20 innocent children                                                                                                Out of the 20 children was Josephine Gay                                                                                                                        Born in March of 2005, she was only 7                                                                                                                                               Because you were a Josephine the whole world would’ve been handed to you, just like me                         Because you were a Josephine, the favor of God would’ve been abundant on you                                             As I sat down trying to understand why God will take away a Josephine from this earth, it dawned on me that GOD just needed someone beautiful, unique, different, intelligent to be an angel                                 Because you were a Josephine, you would have been so beautiful, so smart and so different                    Because you were a Josephine, teachers wouldn’t have to grade your test, they will  see your name on a test and write down 100% because you deserve perfection, you are perfection, and the whole world has been handed to you                                                                                                                                                        Because you were a Josephine, you would have had your first kiss when you were 11                                          It would have been with someone that you thought could never fall for you                                                      Because you were a Josephine, you would have received a letter from the cutest boy in your 5th grade class, asking you if you wanted to hold hands while walking to lunch                                                                           and because you were a Josephine, you would have said no                                                                                                Not because he constantly refused to share his cookies with you, but because you wanted to protect your heart                                                                                                                                                                                              Because you were a Josephine, you would have falling in love with a guy called K.A, and for the first time you would cry over a boy, and would swear that, that would be the last time you ever cry over a boy      Because you were a Josephine, you would’ve built a wall in front of every boy you spoke to, in order to protect your heart                                                                                                                                                                                Because you were a Josephine, you would’ve never looked down on yourself. You would have been so strong, because of your mother’s tears. Your mother’s tears would have meant everything to you.   Because you were a Josephine, when the whole world was against you, your mother’s tears would’ve kept you moving on. When you got ready to give up, you would look up to your mother’s tears, and kept moving on, your mama would have been your biggest hero                                                                   Because you were a Josephine, the whole world would’ve seen the light through you                                        Because you were a Josephine, you would’ve been so different among your friends. The type of different that makes a person want to look at you twice, nod, smile and tell you, “your mom did and amazing job raising you”                                                                                                                                                                                      You would’ve shined wherever you went,  wherever your feet would’ve touched, there would have been unforgettable miracles, you would’ve touched so many hearts, because the favor of God is upon you, and the whole world has been given to you                                                                                                       But unfortunately, because you were a Josephine, you would’ve developed slowly                                        You would’ve been the oldest among your group but yet everyone will think you’re the youngest                   Because you were a Josephine, on your 16th birthday, someone would have told you “happy birthday, how does it feel to be 12 years old”                                                                                                                                                  As I did more research on you, finding your favorite food and favorite music, I realized that we were the same, sisters with different colors.                                                                                                                                    All my life, there have been pieces missing from my heart, but as I saw your pictures and your smile, tears rolled down my cheeks. It dawned on me that you will always have a place in my heart                    

It dawned on me that you have become a piece of me, you live in me and my dreams.                                              So I’m not going to say RIP because I know that you’re singing and dancing in heaven as I’m reading this poem.                                                                                                                                                                                              You have shown us all that life should not be taken for granted and to thank God for every opportunity and every second we get to breath, because we never know when it will be our time                                       So I wrote this poem to let the whole know what you would have become, and to let your parents understand the type of child they would have raised and to let you know, the life you were suppose to have.