Between tragedies and comedies lies

Between tragedies and comedies lies a line so frail and fine. One super subtle twist of fate may change the storyline.

Yet, here I sit, in my dark apartment, spending more than I can save because the roommate had an emergency, which left my pizza job to pay. 

I was right to think my mother fibbed when she promised me a car, for here I stand to use my feet to bring me near or far.

My father, who has hurt me the worst, decided to disown me, out of shame for struggles to provide the life he felt he owed me.

My brother, whom I've missed so much, is someone I do not know. We haven't spoken for a year, because my daddy made me go.

My aunts and uncles seem to think that what Dad had done was wrong. Yet I'm left lonely for holidays, while they all seem to get along.

It's been a year, since that dark day. I've grown so much since then. Yet, here I stay, abandoned by my loved ones once again.

I'm uninsured. I walk to work, and I got hit once on the way. I've been stalked, since then, and lied about, and they don't check if I'm okay. I've lived in so much fear since then, I bought some pepper spray. Yet they don't have a clue, so far, that I've been living in this way.

I've learned that people tend to act out when they are ashamed. They find the nearest target to pass on their self-placed blame. The reason people choose to hurt is because they hurt, themselves. It's nothing to take personal. The truth will come out when it will.

Other times, bad things just happen, and there's nothing you can do. It's just so much easier when someone's there to help you through. Although the people that I thought would be present weren't, there was always someone new. Someone who cared, regardless, even though they didn't have to.

The funny thing about it all, is people always call me happy. They come to me when pain takes over, because I can help them not feel crappy. I'm still allowed to beam with pride for what I've overcome, because if I learn to thank the battles, then it is I who truly won.

My life could be a tragedy if I wanted it to be, but this line, the smile I wear, makes this tale a comedy.