The Conundrum of Us

the dawn of a day often brings light but the dawn of this day only brings insecurity

it creeps into the minds of the unsuspecting youth and kills the hopes and dreams whose fragility is not being protected 

once in focus the magnifying glass being held up to our population reveals a people broken by an ubiquitous entity that cant be touched but can be felt....and is felt 

by me

by you 

by him

by her

rather than degrade and destroy society should restore and replenish

F.or many, my dark skin is seen as a mask hiding beauty but for me it is a ray of light

L.ight that bathes every person I meet in unavoidable awe

A.we that awakens every nerve ending desensitizing all to the hateful message empowered by media's work

W.ork that waxes unwanted weight harbored beneath our worst scars caused by the worst words written to harm...to hurt...to lessen..

L.essen me !? they can try but they will fail because my dark skin also serves as armor holding my beauty close never to be diminished but instead extolled

E.xtolled youth praised for their imperfections that make them imperfectly imperfect will revitalize society

S.ociety must take a stand and raise up to appreciate us for our unconventional beauty and only then will we be safe

S.afe to truly revel in our dark skin, our gapped teeth, our untamable hair, because we finally understand that everything they thought was wrong about us is what is right about us.

what makes us F-L-A-W-L-E-S-S flawless