Curiosity

Sat, 02/08/2014 - 22:54 -- raarce

“Curiosity killed the cat”, and that is why I love them. They poke and jab at what they don’t understand. They follow the smell of an unknown aroma. The have an animalistic need to know what lies beyond the unknown.

We are all born with this instinct. But as we grow older, it tends to be replaced. As we grow older we learn to talk more from our brain than from our heart. We see unknown territory and wonder, but never act. We jump straight to the consequences that could follow, which are mostly negative.

The fear of getting on stage because we don’t want to be booed. The fear of rejection. The fear of judgments being passed. We wonder and ponder and we end up frozen before warming up to the idea. That initial instinct to satisfy our curiosity is overwhelmed by disastrous thoughts.

We make excuses and then convince ourselves that the decision we made was the right decision. And that’s without ever acting on the idea in the first place! As we grow older, it is said that we become wiser. Through education, we become more intelligent. And we even watch and learn from others mistakes.

It’s because of the wisdom I’ve acquired that I’m able to take more risks. Because of the education I’ve earned thus far, I’m able to make better decisions. Wrap that all in to one, and I’m able to say “so what if I fail?” So what if I get booed, judged, or rejected. Years down the road, I’ll look back and remember what was, instead of thinking “what if?”

I hope that one day, we all strive to satisfy our curiosity without a second thought. Curiosity killed the cat, and if it kills me too, then I die a man that can only make so far. My goal is to see just how far I can get.