dream speech

People often tell me that im outgoing, caring, smart, and overall “chill”. I also get that occasional complement from my best friends, that im fabulous or “perf”.  I like to think I’m a good person, a person that others want to look up to. I want to be far from what I came from. Where I came from. It wasn’t great, wasn’t even that good. I mean, sure it wasn’t a walk in the park but I definitely know what NOT to be. Going up, I had week on week off with each of my parents, meaning I spent an entire week at one parent’s house and a whole other week with my other parent, it kind of sucked… a lot. Why you may ask, because one week I was happy with my dad and step mom, and the other I was being abused by my biological mother. This happened for years and always being too scared to say something, well I kept my mouth shut. Finally when I was almost 11, I spoke up and I’ll be honest, it was hard, and I was scared. After I finally spoke up, my life started getting better, I became stronger physically and mentally. A couple talents that I have that I know will help in the future is that Im pretty good at spotting a liar, I’m loyal and most people trust me with their everything, and I’m calm when I want to be.

When I grow up I want to be in criminal justice and right now, I’m working everyday as hard as I can to be a better person and to further grow my education and overall personality. I believe that college will leverage me not only because of the education, but because I will be able to meet new people and expand who I am as person, making memories and even learning from my mistakes. Some challenges i need to overcome most I think is that I have yet to find a way to stop procrastinating, my organization skills could use some serious help, and I’ll be real, I really suck at paraphrasing.

Honestly, what I really want to do with my life, is to create not only a happy and healthy lifestyle for myself and the ones around me and to be well educated and to never have to struggle like others in my family did. To be honest, my dream is so important to me because growing up, I had a lot of people tell me that I would never amount to anything, and I feel personally that that’s totally wrong because if you set your mind and goals high enough, you’re capable of whatever you want.

Ok so, the university that I want to attend is either Colombia University of Brown University, although Colombia is and forever will be my dream school. Colombia is located in New York and is mostly know for not only its amazing law school, but also its theatre program. When I am in college, I actually have only about 2 main goals, I want to be in a sorority and I want to study abroad.

In France there is this organization called Sauver l’innocent (SU vear Le InnocOnt) that has a main focus on child trafficking which is sadly a very big thing in France. This organization is actually a pretty big foundation that fortunately aids and teaches college students in criminal investigation, giving them hands on experience with real world situations.

When I was about 6 years old, one of my best friends became a victim of child trafficking and unfortunately she didn’t make it. My parents moved me and my family to America when I was about 7 or 8 because of what happened. All I remember is how dismissive my teachers were about what had happened and how furious I became that not only was the child trafficking becoming more and more “popular”, but the ones around me became so used to it that it was like they gave up and didn’t even care anymore, this led to the first little spark of inspiration in what I wanted to pursue in the future.

Even though I was terribly abused for most of my life, I have never let that stop me from being me. After speaking up, it was too late for me, the bruises had pretty much faded away and the cuts, scars, and even previously broken bones could have be easily dismissed by the simple, “she fell off her bike”. So after the case had finally been fully put together, she vanished into thin air, leaving me in a court room as a 12 year old little girl that only wanted what she truly deserved, justice.

So what im trying to get at is, even though my life hasn’t been filled with rainbows, glitter, and someone to hold my hand through every little thing, I will still never let that stop me from who I am and who I want to be. Because just because I didn’t get my justice, doesn’t mean someone else shouldn’t.