Great Are You?

America, oh America,

Great? Is that the word to describe you?

Freedom you boast, but rights you deny.

Equality you promise, but racism rampant in your borders runs.

Land of the free and home of refugees? Now a wall you suggest to lock out those in need.

A new beginning, a place where all could live in harmony. Is that what you built when you slaughtered the people native to your lands and destroyed all in your way?

A home of religious freedom and expression? I suppose the hanging of your witches and the persecution of pagans was necessary to build such a nation.

The greatest education? Is that what you think? Sorry America, but Finland beat you there.

Once we were proud, once we stood together and called each other brother. Once we were the greatest. 

Or at least that is what you would have us believe, isn't it?

Twas only sixty-three years ago your segregation ended. Only ninety-seven years ago you decided half your population could vote. Twas less than eighty years ago you sent every Japanese-American in your borders to camps for their race.

You hide it well, but your history is bathed in blood, your foundations built with chains, and your society colored in prejudice.

One day you could stand above them all. One day yours could be the society with true equality, where people are blind to every gender, race, and sexuality. A home where all are welcome and see only as people. But that day has not yet come.

"Great", America? You never were.