A Heart in Smithereens (free verse)

Dear worse mistake,

I know our love was doomed as soon as it began, but I never wanted it to end.

What a fool I was, thinking I could change you. I can't help anyone who doesnt want help or doesnt see their wrongs.

I thought you loved me, but i was only a conveince for you. A easy text, company, someone to make you feel good.

What did I get out of it though? A broken heart, and unanswered questions. Was I good enough? Did I love you too much?

I watch you from afar, wishing I could ask you the questions that ring through my head. I know better though, you walk over me like we never happened. I try so hard to do the same, but a million feelings come rushing in like the waters through the flood gates during hurricane Harvey.

I prayed every night for you, even went days without eating. Praying for your "love" to feel good.

My friends didn't understand, not even you. 

I'm glad I met you, you humbled me in the most painful way. My momma always told me that one day, I'll meet someone who makes me forget to breathe, but she didn't tell me I'd meet someone who'd make me want to stop breathing.

Then I met you,

My worse mistake.

Sincerely, victim of love.