In an Instant

On this day, I lost a friend. There was a terrible car accident, she was pushed off the road, she died at the scene. All in an instant. She was 22, she was in college with me, she worked as a checker for the local grocer. For 22 years she was an outgoing smile from ear to ear with eyes deeper than a forest and kind. She was good, so good, she was the vibrant yellows blending effortlessly into sweet, radiant pink sunrises, and in an instant, she is dead. One second, she was making a U turn to go back to town because she forgot the grocery list, the next, she is dead. There was no lead in, no transition or time to prepare. One moment, she was driving with her mom, the next, she was dead. There was no struggle, she just stopped existing. There was no sensible prelude, just a fatal collision of life. One moment her lungs were full, and heart was happy, the world was spinning just fine, the next, she is dead, and my world spins a little off kilter. In an instant, I lost a friend, siblings lost a sister, parents lost a daughter. In an instant, this earth lost an effervescent laugh and ever humble soul. I see is no reason, no consolation prize. The only person who could find the silver lining of this tragedy is the tragedy. For 22 years, she strove to make her impact, working tirelessly towards her crescendo, yet in an instant, she is gone.

In this instant, I lost a friend.