The Life of a Nigerian American Teen

Sat, 11/07/2015 - 00:59 -- DanaKay

I am Nigerian With my thick, coarse hair And My rich, dark chocolate skin Completely filled with melanin I am Nigerian  With eyes of charcoalLips so fullAndVoice growing strong I am Nigerian  It's funny because when I was a little girl I was so embarrassed To proclaim where I came from I would hide the fact that'I am Nigerian'In every possible way I hated when my name would be missed pronouncedBecause I did not like the unnecessary attention it would bring I also hated when I was called blackBecause I was fixated on the idea that I was brown for the longest time  Yet I was that personThat kidThat "brown" girlWho had grown to embrace her roots I was that former "brown" kidWho ended up loving to hear and say the phrase 'I am Nigerian' Everywhere she went See, I did not want to be defined byThe Status QuoStatisticsOr even the common Stereotypes   I just wanted to be meNigerian  I have learned to redefine myself with PurposeDignityAnd powerAnd to embrace where I am fromTo love my cultureAnd all that it comes with Reasons why I can now proudly sayI am Nigerian