Mommy Are You Proud?

Thu, 05/22/2014 - 20:37 -- Legacy

I just wanna know, Mommy Are You Proud? Your little girl has grown up.

Are you proud of anything she has accomplished? I mean that poverty didn't take her over. That your negativity didn't impale her judgment. That she has found friends that love her. That the "little bitch" you left sitting on the porch has finally found her strength and walked away from that porch.

Mommy tell me, Are You Proud? That your senseless beatings didn't leave your little girl broken and scarred. That her heart is bigger than ever and she is still capable of loving.

Mommy Are You Proud? That your poor decisions didn't lead your little girl down a path of low self-esteem and violence. No man will ever take away her self-worth.

Mommy Are You Proud? That no matter how many times you pushed her away, abused her, ridiculed her, doubted her, no matter how many times she contemplated running away, your little girl stayed by your side.

Tell me Mommy, Are You Proud? That no matter how many people, including family, friends, teachers, students, and yes even you, called her ugly and fat, she still found a reason to smile, laugh, and see the good in the world.

Mommy Are You Proud? That after all the threats, bruises, permanent scars, and suicidal thoughts, that she found a reason to keep fighting and become strong.

Tell me Mommy, Are You Proud? That after begging, pleading, and still being rejected, that your little girl no longer has to ask for a thing, she still found a way to give.

After nights of going hungry because you didn't care, Are You Proud, that she can now provide for herself, and for those she carries in her heart and care for.

She is sorry that she took away your childhood, but please remember she didn't ask to be here. She is sorry and sad that she has always gotten some type of love from those around her, except the one person she needed it most from. Can you guess who that is? Yes it's you Mommy.

She is sorry and hurt that you loved her younger siblings more than her. She is sorry she is the spitting image of her father. She is sorry for not growing up fast enough. But she will not be sorry for trying to make you proud!

So tell me Mommy, Are You Proud? That your little girl gave her brothers, sisters, and cousins somebody to look up to.

Are You Proud? That she got an education and made it to college without getting pregnant.

Are You Proud? That your baby girl has made it against all odds. That she is happy and free.

But most of all, Mommy Are You Proud? That your little girl has turned into a beautiful young lady and she still loves YOU!

Hanizawa

Very well written! I like the concept.

Legacy

Thank You so much!! It's my first spoken word piece. I am really nervous about it.

FlashingNeons

Awesome Poem, continue to stay strong (:

Legacy

^__^ thank you that really means a lot