From a Mother to a Daughter and a Daughter to a Mother

254
Kenya

Because I love you, I want you to have the best opportunity at a successful future that I never had.

Because I love you, I will work day and night behind the scenes to make sure your college experience goes off without a hitch.

Because I love you, I will not let you see the graying hairs that have begun to surface when I think about how I will pay for your education.

Because I love you, you will never see me cry because there isn’t enough money and the debt keeps growing, but I will do what it takes to give you a bright future.

Because I love you, I will work two jobs to carry a four-person household and never complain that my back hurts, or that I am too tired to cook dinner for you.

Because I love you, I will be there for you when you get scared that you can’t succeed.

Because I love you, I held your hand and taught you how to fly alone.

Because I love you, I will let you go to be your own person.

-

Because you love me, I can be the person I am today because of what you have sacrificed.

Because you love me, I understand that you taught me how to walk before running, how to be strong knowing that you will always be with me.

Because you love me, I know that you will always show me that I am capable of success.

Because you love me, I know that you work two jobs and are tired, but you’ll never tell me just how tired you really are.

Because you love me, I know I will never see such you cry in front of me because you are scared.

Because you love me, you hide the bags under your eyes and the fatigue that you’ve been feeling seeping into your bones.

Because you love me, you do more than I ever ask without me knowing.

Because you love me, you try to give me everything that was never given to you.

And because I love you, I will always be grateful for everything that you’ve done for me, I will never forget that you are the one who taught me to be strong, who taught me what was right and wrong, that you will always be there through fire and rain. Because I love you, I won’t let you know that I’ve noticed how weary you’ve grown, how your shoulders have pulled down, or that the red tint in your nose means that you’ve been crying recently. Because I love you, I will pretend to not see all the things you’ve been trying to hide. Because I love you, it is my turn to share the weight and be strong for you.