My Past, Present, and Future (Personal Statement) by: Elisha L. Pate

Growing up, I didn't have many inspirations. As I got older, I began to see myself as an inspiration. During a majority of my childhood, I was forced to stay my with relatives for long periods of time. All I had was myself, and that shaped me into a stronger individual. I saw myself as an inspiration because the struggles and hard times I went through always made me fight harder to become a better version of myself. I never wanted to fall into the dark path of my parents. When my sister was born, I started making changes to myself so I could become the best example of a big sister I could be. She made me realize that someone is always watching your actions. They also affect everyone you love around you.

The first time I visited the Virginia State campus my family and I were there to attend the annual homecoming. At that time, my cousin Porscha was a junior. When I stepped onto the campus, I didn't know what to expect. My cousin started walking us around and I became very fascinated with the school and the campus. Seeing everyone relate to each other in a way but still keeping their own identity was surprising to me. It made me want to see and experience more of the school. When it came time for me to decide on schools to apply to, Virginia State was my first choice. I think it would be an honor for me to attend a school where I share something in common with my peers, such as, being able to take our hopes and dreams to the next level.  It would also make me proud to be able to say I surrounded myself with young African-American individuals who wanted to prove society wrong and conquer the many challenges that come with pursuing a college degree. That decision will not only make a difference in our lives, but it can surely help young adults see the potential they have to do great things. That is the vibe I received from Virginia State. I would love to be a part of that experience. 

My goals after entering Virginia State are to study Psychology and to become a Criminal Psychologist for the FBI.  At Virginia State, there is a 5 year doctorate program that I’m interested in. I plan on getting the highest degree possible so I can have an unlimited amount of job opportunities to get me where I want to be in my career. I want to go into this field because I've always been interested in Psychology. I’ve always been curious about why criminals make the decisions they do. What possess them to harm another human and potentially put their life in danger? I'm also interested in Clinical Psychology, working with children and teenagers, trying to determine their mental health (depression, schizophrenia, etc.).  Since I’ve been around a counseling environment before, I know how it can help people. Just by having someone who has no prior knowledge of you take the time and give you positive insight on how to fix your problems is a great experience. That’s another reason why I would like to go into counseling, because of the help you give to others. Just by making a simple suggestion can change someone’s life.

pateelisha

I like how I started my personal statement. It doesn't give you too much information, but it gives you enough to understand my point of view and where I am coming from.