Oh, say, can you see

Oh, say, can you see by the dawn's early light. What so proudly we held to our chest with a knife. As we broke the chains of freedom that stopped a wicked sight. For years we trapped our feelings but now it’s time for the fight. From crushed hands to crushed dreams. Graves filled with black dreams. Black men leaving black seeds, raising hell with crushed wings.
the truth is that we won, not knowing the long term effects of a whip and a couple of songs. songs that trapped maps with sad text, rail roads to freedom but nothing too complex.
for the future I live now in 2018 fighting a dream that was meant for me to redeem is still under lock and key. Just like the chains that Supposedly set slaves free. So oh say, can you see by fighting in the light will always darken me.

PowerPoetryIntern2019

We love your work here at Power Poetry and would like to share it on our social media platforms.  We can link your twitter, instagram, and/or facebook or, if you prefer, keep you anonymous. Please respond to this comment on the website.  If you respond by email, I won’t receive your reply. Thank you for your wonderful work!

Best,

Ashley

Raleighia

I would love for you to use it. My Twitter is @Raleighia_1