once upon a black soul

Wed, 07/05/2017 - 19:56 -- raqiahM

I’ve been born to this world thinking maybe fairytales are as realistic as they could get.

I might not be the girl who got poisoned by an apple, for instead I have been fed my own thoughts to destroy me.

I might not be the girl who gave up an ocean, but I do recall loving a human to the extent where their heart was all the home I needed.

I might not be the girl who fitted into the glass slippers, for standing in my own shoes has been hard enough.

I might not be the girl who knows how to love, oh god for I can't even love the beast in me.

I might not be the girl who hid beauty beyond tower walls, for I am a garden beneath thick skin, just hoping to hear words of a song that could water my roots.

I might not be the girl, with the beautiful skin reflection and a business to own, but my dreams are no different for I am empowered and independent.

I might not be the girl who created an army in protections of her own land, or the girl who liberated her people, but what rights does society leave me when I'm considered a foreigner in my own country.

I might not be the girl who was gifted a curse as she was born, but I had moments in my life where falling for death seem to be the only thing that could save me.

I might not be the girl who threw a lavished life to see the world, but as long as my eyes could capture freedom thats all the lexury I needed.

I might not be the girl with the happy ending, but having a beginning has always been enough.