One Step at a Time

I was recently faced with the challenge of my Grandmom’s being diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer. I am fortunate to have a very close bond with my Grandmom, whom I consider my closest relative and my best friend. On December 6, 2017, I received a phone call from my Grandmom that made my heart sink. After learning of her prognosis, all I wanted was to come home and spend time with her. However, I knew I needed to stay at school and prepare for finals. The news could not have come at a worse time; my courses, research, and extracurriculars demanded my attention, yet my mind was at home with her. With finals quickly approaching, I decided to make time for my Grandmom without jeopardizing my long-term goals. I scheduled daily one-hour face-to-face conversations with her. The remainder of my day was dedicated to my education, with my Grandmom as the driving force. I have learned that when the unexpected occurs, I can adapt to the circumstances and still achieve my goals.