An Open Letter To God and My future Lover

Wed, 08/28/2013 - 15:53 -- AkiraD.

An Open Letter to God and My Future Lover

By Candice Sewell

According to the love gurus on my twitter timeline, 80% of us have already met the person we will marry. 

But, I beg to differ I’m convinced that my lover is in the wrong time zone.

Love, is busy figuring out a way to introduce himself to me. 

Love is busy picking out the flowers that will be included in our Mother’s Garden.

He is reading the same book as me, just so that when he runs into me he will ask “Have you read All about Love by Bell Hooks?”

Maybe love is in the same city I’m in, getting his self together to go on a date with the girl whose company he enjoys.

Love will pull out the chair for her, open car doors and always walk on the side of the street where the curve is.

Love will sometimes forget to text her good morning, tell her she’s beautiful, tell her she doesn’t need to change for anyone.

And tell her that she is more than what he asked god to send.

Maybe Love is in another country.

And we don’t even speak the same language.

Maybe love doesn’t want to be met, because he isn’t together.

Perhaps love has forgotten about me and I am nothing but a faint memory.

Love maybe asking God about me clenching his palms together at the side of his bed every night praying this prayer for the past 6 years.

Dear Lord,

Send me a lover whose hips move like hula hoops, when she glides across the floor.

Let her tongue be a lethal weapon that makes me fall in love, with her words and mesmerized by her voice.

May her conversations be long and deep just like me?

May her soul be old and her body young and her heart have traces of where you have loved her.

And last but not least Lord God, tell her that she will not recognize me.

That I maybe too nervous to speak to her.

And that I will only want to stare at her infamous beauty and bask in her essence.

Tell her that when we meet I have already planned our first 3 dates.

Our first date will call for her to trust me because I will take her skating and I know she has broken her leg skating before.

Our second will require her to release her old soul; we will go to the lakefront on a Thursday night and listen to Maze and Frankie Beverley radio on Pandora.

Our third date will cause her to bare her soul to me at an open mic because I know that is where she finds herself in between the lines she has written.

Amen.

Maybe love is an artist’s by night and a blue collared worker by day.

Love maybe found in his natural habitat, a gym with sweat dripping off his body in all the right places

Maybe love is built like a teddy bear someone I can snuggle under every night and hear him snore like a grizzly bear.

Perhaps, love is recovering from heartbreak and feels as if he will never be able to love again.

And I pray this prayer every now and again. With my hands clasped and head bowed.

Lord, God please send me a man when you see fit.

May I recognize him from a mile away, with a smile that my gaze cannot stray from and a connection so strong that I will have no other choice (PAUSE) but to fall in love?

And may my heart and mind be willing to accept every flawed jewel in his body and every diamond crescent thought.

God let him treat his children like angels and his wife like a queen even when I do not behave like one.

And  God, don’t let him be afraid of a little change. Let his heart speak volumes to me even when we are miles apart.

May his soul  caress my soul on the days when I cannot seem to remember why I fell in love with him in the first place?

May he show consistency in everything that he does, from the moment he says  I Love You, so that when we grow old together I can remember that exact moment and ask him, how did you know I was the one?

The one you were supposed to end up with.

And he’ll say I’ve been asking God about you for a very long time.

Amen.

hikingpaleontologist

I absoultely love this. You don't know how many times I thought about love, and when it would come, and how it would. Your poem perfectly explained how I feel, and gives hope that there is such a thing as a "soul mate", we just have to wait until the time is perfect. Thank you for writing this!

AkiraD.

Thank you so much for those word! They mean the world to me!

Leslie Kim

You just defined what I think love should be. I think it is such a sweet confession of love

and I'm sure if you give it to someone you are truly in love with, they will see how true you

are about love and companionship. Perhaps, my imspiration toward your poem is due to

the fact that I'm naive and hoplessly romantic but I am impressed by your theme that the true love

exists and when the right moment comes we will recognize the one that is meant to be.

It is a same old message but you have written it so beautifully that I just couldn't help but to

leave a message of how much I loved your poem!

AkiraD.

I want to thank you so much for that compliment. That just made my day! And thats exactly how love love is, you must wait and be patient. Love will greet you one day and you may not recognize him/her. Love is just so mysterious like that.