Poncho

85297

she limps hard. She's never walked on two legs before.
she claws at the walls, trying to keep steady
she glances up, hair streaming down her small face- she's breaking a sweat
she takes a deep, hard breath.
It's shaky... like nothing you've heard before.
Her breath is emersed with sorrow, corruption, pain, worry, hope, hurt, love. All entwined together.
She glances up again- this time more steady, but it's still hard.
You have a small smile on your face, but in the creases of happiness, you are hiding sadness.
You have legs. You DON'T know what this feels like. For you this was never hard.
But her face is joyous, and celebratory is the way she fumbles in her new legs.
She looks back once more, and lets out a small giggle, covering her mouth.
She rounds the corner, and your face drops.
Your steady strides turn into a terrifying dismount- trying to grasp at her poncho.
But she's gone. And you know it.
You round the corner anyways, knowing how this dream ends... how it turns into a nightmare.
What you see changes. The hospital is gone, the long, tile corridor is gone as well.
It's been replaced.
In your field of vision is a large, colorless classroom. The walls are drab. You are drab. The only thing with life is her.
She's in the middle of the class, slouched in a desk. Her legs are on.
The kids around her point. laugh. smirk. sneer.
I mean, what is that? It's wierd. It's like an alien attached to your already strange legs. It looks ugly. So do you. WE hate YOU.
She slouches passively in her desk. Her same pink poncho is on. She is so beautiful and filled with light. What is she doing?
Something is wrong. The scene fades. And turns into the interstate on the other side of town.
She's wearing her poncho.
What is she doing.
But he knew. He knew this nightmare all so well.
He kicked. And screamed. A loud, shuttering cry that pierced that dark sky, filled with hurt, pain, and deep sorrow.
What did he do?