Psychology for the People

Shifting eyes, tight throat, hiding my face as I watch the class make fun of a girl for sharing her issues     about PTSD

I tell her after the bell shrieks terribly that I can't believe they would say those things... but I knew it wasn't enough

It wasn't enough that my teacher simply told them to 'quiet down and finish their work already'

It wasn't enough that she was perscribed heavy dosages of pills that only gave her a small glimmer of hope that she would be normal 

It wasn't enough that the only people she thought would listen to her turned her down and ignored her like she was nothing more than a blank wall

but it won't be enough if I receive an education just so I can wave my degree around and become seemingly more righteous than the rest of the world

It won't be enough if I have a plaque on the wall so I can receive a bigger paycheck than those who are still frying up fast food to keep their children off the streets

It won't be enough if I simply slide by in life with a comfortable home and an even more comfortable career -- no, my life changes when I have that one job because that one job will change the lives of others; others like the girl in class that have no one else to turn to but people with jobs like me