Self-Love

Aubrey Contreras

FLAWLESS Scholarship

12/9/14

Self-Love

It’s unfortunate that society creates a beauty standard that seems impossible to reach.  We are expected to act, look, and think a certain way to feel accepted.  We misconstrue the idea of beauty, and assume that our physical appearances are really what matters.  As a Filipino-American and a female, I have internalized many standards of what beauty is and how my behavior determine whether I am beautiful or not.  Females are told every day to glam up and act elegant for the opposite sex, whether it is conscious or unconscious.  This unrealistic expectation of looking as flawless as Beyonce or a Victoria’s Secret model only deteriorates female’s self-esteem.  From friends, family, and to the media, women are always discouraged in some shape or form.  As much as society tries to control how we should look and act, there is no greater way than to separate yourself from these unattainable aspirations and to really focus on what truly matters.  I believe love and self-acceptance are the two most important things to living a happy life, and these are the qualities I have which make me believe I am flawless.  Without love, there is no self-acceptance; and without self-acceptance, there is no love.  Since these traits correlate with one another, individuals should understand that it is impossible to look perfect.  Even models or celebrities we perceive to be flawless are insecure at some extent.  We will never make society happy, so why bother following guidelines and letting our insecurity eat us away?  It is a waste of time devoting hours on end to impress other people through physical appearance.  As the cliché saying goes, beauty is really deep within.  Someone with intelligence, ambitions, and a daring personality is more beautiful than someone who is conceited and only focuses on external aspects.  Besides, our physical beauty fades with age, but our personality lasts a lifetime.  With that saying, to love and accept one’s self as they are is beautiful.  Despite not living up to someone else’s standard, not having a perfect body, or blue eyes, I know I am beautiful.  Self-acceptance is respecting one’s self and appreciating the beauty within, regardless of the physical features.  If people begin understand that it’s okay to not be perfect, they will soon understand the beauty in the simple things.