Sh*t I can't say to my teacher

Mom and daddy dont scream, can't you see how much I need you? Right here with me, I'll do anything to keep you. Daddy's saying things he doesn't mean. He doesn't know what he's talking about, somebody hear me out. I'll clean the house, try hard in school. I'll be your angel, I promise you. Mother, father, I'll pray for you. Years go by and the tears are abundant. Momma, you're all I got now. Daddy has hurt us both, but the love of our family, us, I pray will be eternal. I hear: the table's no place for your toys, and don't eat until we say grace. Try to use your inside voice, and never let your prayers fade away. Time changes everything, and momma has a new man. Who's to say I'm not strong enough to take on this world on my own? I'll get a job, keep the house clean, do the laundry, dishes, and cook for my little brothers every night. School is just a side job and even if no one is there to push me, I will be all I can be. Soccer is something I do that releases stress and helps me relax. Then there's service hours. Those are optional but the benefits are much more effective than those of a regular job. Paying for my own vehicle and phone is cake work, any sixteen year old girl will tell you that. Looking back, a strong realization has come to mind: When being strong is the only option a person has, they then have the choice to let it destroy or build them. Years later, an eighteen year old highschool senior faces her next step in life: College. She has made it. The next time a teacher looks at a student and says her life must be easy because all they have to do is their school work, that teacher should stop and think. Maybe the teacher does not know the whole story. Although the student comes to school and acts as though she has a seemingly perfect life, that is an act. She is the actress. or better yet, she is the warrior. She may not have the easiest life, but she has chosen her aspirations for the future and is not going to let circumstance stand in her way. No, teacher, she does not have an easy life. Give her a break.

LENA7BENA

My favorite part of this poem is when I spoke about the past, and how it morphed the young girl into a strong independent woman.