Systems of Control

One day a man from the Other side stepped into Neutral. He said “ I wish all to serve themselves!” A second man came from Beyond. He said, “ I wish all to serve each other!” A third man came from Above. “ I wish all to serve my leaders!” A fourth man came from Below. He said, “ All will bow to me alone!” The first man yelled, “ Freedom!” the second, “ Unity!” the third, “ Loyalty!” the fourth, “ Obedience!” Their cries brought a fifth man from Unknown. “ Who is right?” he bellowed. “ I am!” the others screamed in unison. “ Who will live longer?” “ I will!” the Unknown thought. “ Who is not corrupt?” The others were silent. “ Who is not selfish?” No answer. “ Who has the brighter future?” Nothing. “ Will you do what you say?” A large quiet. “ Do none of you have an answer?” “ I will give all freedom.” said the first man. “ Will everyone be free?” “ I do not know.” “ I will make everything fair.” said the second man. “ Will everyone be free?” repeated the Unknown. “ I do not know.” “ I will have complete trust.” said the third man. “ Will everything be fair?” repeated the Unknown. “ I do not know.” said the third man. “ I will make all submit to me.” said the fourth man. “ Will you have complete trust?” “ I do not know.” said the fourth man. “ Then I do not agree with anyone of you.” he left without another word.