Time After Time

6:45 AM: the buzzer goes off, it’s time for school.

7:30 AM: we leave the house.

8:08 AM: school starts.

4:00 PM: I come home and start my homework.

11:00 pm: I sleep.

At 6:45 AM the next morning, it begins all over again. We go through the same cycle for so much of our lives. The clock is slowly ticking away and three little sticks determine exactly where we should be and what we should be doing. Why is that? Humans are the only creatures that have conjured up this concept of “time.” There is no real definition for time, only speculations. The ingenious Oxford Dictionary, of course, has the technical definition, which is as follows: “the indefinite continued progress of existence and events in the past, present, and future regarded as a whole.” However time is merely a perception of our mind. We determine how fast or how slow it goes because time is only a figment of our imagination. The dog doesn’t measure birthdays and the cat doesn’t try to count down how many days it may have left to live. Time can help us because for some, it acts as a wake up call. But for many others, it acts as a tormentor. So many questions are posed and so many bad choices are made just because people think that there is not enough time. It restricts the mind, making us think that we are not capable of committing an act towards something we love purely because we might run out of time or we have other things to get to before our day runs out. So, if it destructs us so much, why do we allow it to rule our lives? Why are we giving time, something so small, something so minor, as much power and attention that we would give to something so important, something like God? Everyone wants more time, but this yearning of not wanting to leave this world or even this body can destroy anything and everything. After extending the average human lifespan by nearly forty years through scientific and medical advances, the human race’s biggest fear is death. This concept is so unknown and it seems so dangerous, the idea of not breathing, the idea of not living. It is something that our mind simply cannot comprehend. Time has made this fear come alive as it dances in our darkest fires and lurks into our happiest days. We, as humans, can no longer exist without time on our hands, however time can exist freely without us. Or can it?