The unspoken words of poetry

Dear poetry, 

Thank you for being there. Thank you for teaching me how to express my self in ways i didn’t know i could share. Thanks for letting me now it is okay to be vulnerable, it is okay to be me. It is okay to be a black girl with flaws and thank you for teaching me how to love all of my insecurities. Insecurities that once almost took me away. But poetry, oh my sweet poetry it was you that showed me expression told me to write it down and then i became okay. The words i express through my poems have dried many tears, the words i have spoken have overcome many fears, the words of the many very courageous poets, such as Mya Angelou has shown me that through any obstacle still i rise. Poetry told me to keep writing about my abusive father, for whom much of my life i very much despised but thank you to poetry, STILL I WRITE. 

Thank you poetry, and p.s you’ve helped me regain my strength, thank you for letting me know that it is okay to be me. You’ve asked who has been my mentor? Well here is my shoutout to Poetry.