Where I am From

I am from lawnmowers being my alarm clock on Saturday morning,

From the street where children played from sunrise to street light time.

I am from a small room with windows on all 4 walls with little heat,

Where there was a small tv that stayed on

With the volume at 62, loud enough to drown out the yelling of mama and daddy

I am from the loud sound of gospel music on Sunday before church,

From the smell of burning hair as mama hot combed my hair the night before Easter Sunday.

I am from a hot crowded room full of family on Christmas night in grandmas house,

From the sweet and savory taste of southern collard greens and cornbread.

I am from laughter of my uncles as they played spades at mama’s fancy wooden table,

From the family who would scold at you if you were in grown folks face too long.

I am from a room with a hole in the roof, where cold rushy water dripped from above and covered my face every morning at 5 am(the time daddy went to work).

I am from the place where I thought I could be myself, but later became bullied because I prefered to read than to hang upside down from the monkey bars,

From a place where I was tormented because I didn’t have clean uniforms to wear and a hole in the bottom of my shoe because daddy could afford to buy new one.

I am from the agonizing pain of an empty stomach,

From the place where I cried for mama because she was away getting help,

I am from locking my door at night,

From sleeping with a kitchen knife under my pillow because the rattling of the door knob scared me every night.

I am from month of counselling because nothing, not even a whisper would leave my mouth.

From mama crying and pray over me begging for forgiveness for not being my guardian angel in the time of need.

I am from light, where I am smiled upon regardless of my scars

From a place where I am no longer ashamed of being who I am.

I am from God.

armanisholar19

I wrote this inspiriation of who I am and what I've been through. I hope you are inspired