Writing poetry is all about self-expression: being heard and being understood. We want to know all about what kinds of connections drive you, as both a person and poet, to speak truth and raise your voice.
When you write, who are you hoping will hear it? Your parents, your siblings, your classmates and friends? People from your past, or people you haven’t met yet? Do you write to forge new connections, or strengthen ones you’ve already got? To give yourself closure? To ask for help you need, or maybe to help somebody else? You might write without a specific person in mind – or you may just write just for yourself!
No matter who you hope will hear you, write a poem, in any form or style you choose.
How to Apply
- Make sure you're eligible by checking out our FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) and the contest rules. Basic requirements? (1) 25 years of age (or younger), (2) a current or former high school student who will attend/is attending college within the U.S. or its territories, and, (3) a submitted original poem with the poetry slam tag To Be Heard.
- Become a Power Poet by registering to be a part of our community.
- Check out this blog post that describes how we pick our scholarship winners.
- Look at previous winners, Action Guides, Tip Guides and other poems for inspiration.
- Add an original poem to Power Poetry by September 08, 2014.
- Check out our FAQ if you have any questions about the contest.