This is America

Hold your head up, and promise to always pray. 

Look alive, stay alive for another day.

It's protection for the people, but we place our hands in protection that moves up and down like a sound wave.

paid vacations for murders, and they get off for being "brave", while the people with pigment are left with dark graves.

Iron chains and black whips break black slaves, the same way ICE breaks families, the same way hate trumps American loyalty and how the Triple K exposes American hypocrisy.

We made a mile out of an inch, never stopped when our brothers started getting lynched.

Couldn't dare stop when our chilren were held in a cage like an animal, we're moving backwards and our mother's pray for you to wade. 

Show me how to love again, show me how to not be afraid. 

The streets are dark at night, it's hard to feel safe. 

Every black man I know fears a Trayvon fate, imagine how that feels you can have your gun, but get ill when I choose to kneel.

Another shooting on the news is not enough.

Some more brown kids are dead, let's sweep it under the rug. 

Red for the blood of innocent people running loose. The second ammendement is the worst excuse. 

White for the nation that housing a white lie. Makes me scream the revolution will not be televised. 

Blue is the sinking weight that takes more than the Great Depression. A hang man's noose can't quiet this confession. 

Speak of internment camps, Asians are considered "exotic" as if to keep them foreign, and Americans are "Indians" as if this isn't even their land. 

Every muslim is a terrorist, every black man is theif, every woman is angry, and America refuses to turn over leaves. 

Tell me about Hawai'i, about the Queen's monarchy. About Vietnam, and the bloody tea of Ameircan History. 

We've come so far, yet here we cannot stay. 

Hold your head up and promise you always pray. 

Look alive, and stay alive just another day.