American Dream

Tue, 08/08/2017 - 13:35 -- Assaita

To live the American dream means to be the one living in the family house that you own
Debt free
That you paid with the money that your white ancestors swept from my black ancestors hands

It means to be able to walk out of the classroom and come right back in
No questions asked
Because the color of your skin is perceived as superior to mine

It means to be able to speed while driving and get pulled over by a cop and get a free lesson on how to tie a tie
It means that I as a black women get paid way less than the average white woman who gets paid way less than the average white man

If I can bully a disabled kid and get life, best believe that the next white person will become president
If I can stand in front of a store and get shot, best believe that the next white person will be called a renowned business owner
If I can sit in a car with my kid and die, best believe that the next white person will get off with a warning
If I can fix my broken down car and get body slammed, best believe that the next white person will get the number to the tow company that has been the family for years

If I laugh out loud I am a hooligan

If I wear my color proudly I am crazy for wanting to be associated with my culture and embracing my culture because only god knows why anyone would want to be associated with "that group"

If I witness a crime I am part of it

If I keep quiet I am obstructing justice and not protecting my family from those that that don't like me
That can't stand me
That hate the fact that #blacklivesmatter is a movement and #whitelives isn't

To live the American dream means to aid in the death of an innocent 12 year old boy and come out 60 years later and say you lied only because you don't expect repercussions because your fellow white folks will take pity

To live the American dream means that you get first dibs on a position not because of your qualifications but because of the justification that if you are five shades lighter than me you can demand the world and receive it.