Daddy's Girl

“She’s beautiful,” Her daddy whispered when he held her for the first time.

It’s been a year now… A definite daddys girl. Running to him for every bump, bruise, secret, and achievement. She can crawl, and sit up. She mumbles her way through a conversation with herself.

“She’s beautiful,” Her daddy whispered as he lay her in her crib. She’s two years now. She can walk, and run, and giggle, and shout.

“She’s beautiful,” Her daddy whispered as they snuggled on the couch for a movie. On her third birthday, they went to the park, and they had pizza afterwards, as requested by her.

“She’s beautiful,” Her daddy whispered as she blew out the candles. It’s been four years now… She’s getting rushed to the hospital with a fever of 104.7°…

“She’s beautiful,” Her daddy whispered as he wiped the sweat off of her forehead. She’s five years old now… She started preschool yesterday, and made a new friend. We invited her friend over for a playdate.

“She’s beautiful,” Her daddy whispered as she fell asleep, exhausted, on his lap. She’s such a daddy’s girl. She’s six years old now… She starts Kindergarten tomorrow. It’s an early night for her, as she goes to sleep at seven-thirty.

“She’s beautiful,” her daddy whispered as he dropped her off at the classroom. She’s seven years old now… She told the teacher that a kid in class was bullying her.

“She’s beautiful,” Her daddy whispered as he read her a bedtime story. On her eighth birthday, she rode the zipline. She’s getting braver and braver…

“She’s beautiful,” her daddy whispered as the wind blew through her hair. She’s nine years old now. She’s into art and music.

“She’s beautiful,” Her daddy whispered as they drove to the pop concert. Everyday she changes a little more. She’s loud, and shy, and sweet, and beautiful. She’s daddy’s little girl. She’s perfect.