Dear Dark Skinned Girl

Dear dark skinned girl,
          You do not think you have the looks to prove to yourself you are good enough. You stare at the mirror everyday to witness the blemishes and flaws that you think have begun. Begun after thinking light skin is the right skin. Begun after you have  grown ashamed of your color. You even tried bleaching your skin, but my love, you are unique, you will will never look like the others. You are  still a shade darker, which means you are a shade uglier. I am sorry my love, you will just have to get use to disgust when your eyes lock with mirrors.
Dear dark skinned girl,
         Your thoughts are still locked on the now FACT that you are not good enough. You have  become a member of team dark skin, which nobody seems to love. Light skin is the right skin has now been tattooed on your heart, the way you think, even engraved on your arms. It seems that that is even what the pastor seems to preach, which results with you loathing in self pity. The mirror is chattering. You cry screaming out "God, why did you place this burden upon me?!" To make yourself somewhat happier, you purchase a stronger skin lightening cream. The hydroquinone and mercury may lighten your skin, but your soul will still bleed. Your feeding on the wrong thought. You need to love what you have, not hate what you do. My love erase the picture of what you think perfect is-- nobody in the world can be you. You are one hundred percent authentic. You cannot be copied. I shed tears for you because being light skin is not what is in you, it is not God wanted you to be.
Dear dark skinned girl,
          I was once like you. I use to curse the Almighty upon me. I use to think I would be more beautiful by using that damned bleaching cream. I would stare in the mirror for hours and wonder why He gave me such flaws. I resented what I was and just wanted to escape it all. I even thought that the answer was lightening. And to even consider the ingredients used in those creams is horrifying. I hated myself to the point of not loving what matters: the inside. Shit, I remember I use to never smile. But why? You are dark skinned for a reason. Your melanin shall remain a sexy dark chocolate throughout all the seasons. Don't ever think society will not accept you due to your darker shade. My darling society as is is fucked up, just allow God to be your umbrella when it rains. Because when it rains, it pours as you already know. But do not ever doubt what you have in and out my dear, you're beautiful. Your chocolate skin glistens once you waltz inside a room. Your chocolate skin is magnificent. It may get darker in the summer, but God has blessed you with such melanin.
Dear dark skinned girl,
          Have you ever considered the fact that those who claim to be team light skin or team dark skin have something to lack? Have you ever thought that they are so fucked up that they think that is the only beautiful characteristic that God has placed upon their back? And why did the whites enslave the blacks? Because we were of a different color and shade. It is crazy how history repeats itself. Society really needs to change. Why can we not be team BLACK? Why get specific when it comes to the shade. Because God loves us no matter the color; white, brown, purple, pink, hell even gray. Society needs to love as if we were color blind. It devastated me that you think lighter is better. This thought is fucking with our youth's mind. So darling turn that frown upside down and smile for a change. We are not meant to resemble one another, God has a gargantuan range. Put down the bleach and listen to what I say carefully. Because my time will soon pass and it will be your turn to teach. Please do not  forget that I love you dearly. Do not ever be ashamed to look in the glass, your beauty cannot be any more clear. Do not even shed a tear and remember to change, society must start with the man in the mirror. 

michelle.k.faustin

#YOWO

Sincere_Lolo

Hi,my name is Laura I'm new to this site. I was browsing the internet searching for poems about dark skin girls for a story that I'm writing on another site (via Wattpad.com) and I just so happen to come across yours and I really loved it. I was wondering if you could give me permission to use your poem within one of the chapters of my story. My name on the site is Lolo_Folarin_Dolo and the title of the story is Shye if you're interested in reading. I will gladly give you sole credit for your poem and dedicate you within that chapter. I'd gladly appreciate a response. Thanks in advance and God bless.