The Essence of Nature

I glance outside into a world of barren trees covered by an eerie mist

I look down the street, as far as I can see, and I realize that I am alone.

All alone. I’m am surrounded by the beauty of nature but after a while, 

nature gradually changes.

It slowly begins to fade into darkness, no longer are the flowers enchanted with light

and

no longer does the cool mist brush upon my face and make me smile.

The vivacious flowers now begin to take a turn in direction.

As the days pass there colors of the petals begins to fade and they soon turn dull and lifeless through my eyes.

As I wander out of the cottage and the cool mist lands upon me, it no longer brushes upon my face. As soon as I open the door the ominous mist seems to smack me across the face; a slap of reality.

With the beauty of nature comes the realization of human necessity. I have spent my time

here confined by nature and in a way I feel tied to the trees, 

stuck onto the sap they produce daily.

I begin to feel trapped. Everywhere I look is nature. The air, the bark, the leaves falling one by one down onto the pavement of the wet road.

I look at the damp wood fences I have built and my tiny cottage that I have created

with my bare hands. The green moss grows on the rooftop and the cool rain begins to fall.

Am I accomplished? Or am I wasting everything away?

They say nature is beauty, and why it is. But how long can nature really stay beautiful?

Is it still beautiful night after night, day after day when the outside begins to form inside your mind? Is it still beautiful when you feel enclosed and futile? When it seems to take you away from everything you’ve ever known and be your only friend?

Nature has begun to sink into the depths of my mind and I have realized that maybe this is not right. Maybe we were not meant to be only with nature.

I feel surrounded and ready to collapse into pieces. With the darkness and no one around, my mind begins to run in circles as I long for human companionship.

I sit here alone and stare through the glass plated window, looking for someone.

I am alone. Yes, I have nature, but what does that do? Do the trees talk and express feelings? Does the rain speak?

Nature is here, but I am filled with solitude. Just when you think nature is your friend, it will begin to turn on you. You will grasp that nature is not man and man is not nature.

As I start to fade into a deep sorrow, I push open the rusty cottage door. I snap out of my daze and my mind begins to work. 

I jump the old damp gate and I run. I run far away. I run far away from the wildlife that has begun to haunt me overtime. I run to what everyone needs at some point in life: I run to man.