Future child

Dear future child,

This world is not gumdrops and rainbows

It is a tough place to get what you want,

You will need to fight for what you want.

Since you are a minority, it will be extremely hard for you, but not impossible.

I realize this may not suit you well, but I just wanted you to know about the truth.

Since you are a minority, there may be a job you want, but you may not get it, because even though you may be well qualified, the employer may not choose you because the color of your skin.

Employers should not do this, but they do occasionally.

In this world, be mindful, that people are not too nice, but you can steer your own life, don’t expect anyone to give you anything in this world.

If you want something go and get it.

Even though a man by the name of Martin Luther King Jr., wanted segregation and the divide in the country to be over, people did not get the memo.

This world is divided, and even though there is no segregation, there is still racism.

The best way to combat racism is to be kind everyone no matter if they are unpleasant to you.

When you show someone respect that does not deserve it, that says a lot about your character.

When I was growing up, my parents instilled in me to be the best I can be and when I reach that point, and improve even more.

I leave you with this, if someone wants to tell you cannot do something, just say, “Thank you for your feedback, but I am going to do what I do and you can do you.”