Hello Fear

HELLO FEAR

Fear is defined as “an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat”. For the life of the believer fear should be defined as “Face Everything and Rise”. Our history is a story of people who rose above fear; not just because they valued themselves as human beings, but because they had just as much right as any other human being. Man separated humans into categories because of the color of skin instead of fostering unity because of the content of character.

The 21st century has become a challenge for the African American people because we are often afraid of what others may think, say, and do. We often deny ourselves opportunities because we are afraid of the other races that are in the competition…it is time to say HELLO FEAR. We as a people should not be defined by the color of our skin, because that war was fought many years ago in order that we have the same freedom as any other person. Allow me to take a moment to remind you of some ordinary African Americans who became extraordinary just by saying….HELLO FEAR.

Harriet Tubman said HELLO FEAR…when she moved more than 300 slaves to freedom being their conductor IN AN UNDERGROUND RAILROAD over a 10 year period.

Frederick Douglas said HELLO FEAR… when he uttered the words “The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and victorious”.

Madam CJ Walker said HELLO FEAR…when she boldly echoed “Don’t sit down and wait for the opportunities to come…get up and make them”.

Booker T. Washington said HELLO FEAR…when he bellowed his words “Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome”.

Ruby Bridges said HELLO FEAR…when she shouted “Don’t follow the path; go where there is no path and start a trail”.

Langston Hughes said HELLO FEAR…and stated “When a man starts out to build the world; he first starts with himself”

Rosa Parks said HELLO FEAR…when she said” I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.”

Rev Dr. Martin Luther King Jr said HELLO FEAR…as he preached to the people” The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy”

The 44th President of the United States of America Barack Hussain Obama said HELLO FEAR… “Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. The future rewards those who press on. I don't have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't have time to complain and I don’t have time to fear…I'm going to press on”.

Because fear got in my face before I even had a place; I decided that I was going to stand firm and tall and right in it's face. So as I move forward on my journey and the voice of self doubt seems clear, I will look in the mirror and incline my hear simply by saying...HELLO FEAR!