Hope in the sky

It's January 1, 2014 and the world is busy making resolutions, plans and anything one will on this day, a reflection or two can come to mind as the memories still stay. School, family, working all day and night, enough incoming stressers life brings to make any person want to fight. I just want to scream so loud in an empty arena, yet I glance in my room as I see a poster of my hero John Cena. He wrestles and speaks up against bullying and haters, he's probably also as strong as a swamp full of alligators. I know wrestling is entertainment and I understand the sport, but it brings me happiness of a different sort. My grandfather introduced wrestling to me many years ago, sitting in our cheap stadium seats as he told me "look at them go." He passed away last August exactly a month after my birthday, he was in pain and he could not stay. Fishing, barbeques, all sports and road trips he loved most, and these memories I hold onto very close. He may be gone from this world but I know he is happy in Heaven above, probably listening to Tejano music he always loved. I cry at times because I do miss him still, but I know he is smiling up there and not on this earth being ill. I struggle every day with finances, family rejection, education and health pain; yet I cannot quit for there is so much to still gain.  Growing up in a family when I most felt their anger and hate, one man took me under his wing which I will forever appreciate. Grandpa I miss you terribly and hope to make you proud, you know I am shy and quiet but for now I am loud. I am still in school and working hard as I can, but I still feel your spirit soaring like Superman. Thank you for being my hope in the sky, as quoted in The Sandlot "Legends never die."