The Hunger of Opportunity

Thu, 01/30/2014 - 17:02 -- quenia

A current issue that to me is important in society is immigration. Undocumented individuals are being deported every day by the millions. A major group of these undocumented people are Hispanics or Latinos. These people don’t deserve to be deported back to their country. They come to the United States for new opportunities, money, and to have a better future for themselves and their family. They also come here to get away from the violence in their country and have protection and not live in a country where there is constantly corruption.

They do jobs others will not do and work long hours to be successful. They clean toilets, work in hotels cleaning bedrooms, work in fields picking the fruit and vegetables we eat every day in our meals, driving trackers, do yard work under the burning sun. The most challenging problem undocumented people face is the language barrier. It can be difficult for someone to learn a new language, but even though this is an issue that does not discourage them one bit. Hard working people like this should be given the opportunity to stay legally. Democrats and republicans need to establish an immigration reform. It’s been statistically proven that it will help our country and boost the economy.

As a first generation college student, I am not only setting an example that college is possible for my family members but also pursuing a degree that will enable me to gain valuable employment with a higher wage to assist my family in the future. Because we also support extended family it is extremely important for me to obtain this scholarship to pay for college so that my education expenses are not a burden to my family.