I am me.

Tue, 01/29/2019 - 18:39 -- lrose01

how did I overcome one of my fears?/well, there were many days of failure./days of grief that destroyed me./days of sadness that buried me./days of darkness that blinded me./but, between the hurt,/the pain,/the suffering,/there were days of joy./days of pure happiness,/days of hope./days defined by light./before I continue, perhaps I should introduce my fear./for years and years and years, I feared that  I would carry the same future as my father./that I would drink and drink and drink until I couldn’t breathe./that I would yell and yell and yell until my throat was raw and my family was gone./that all the drinking and the yelling would fill me with such a rage/that I would destroy those who I loved./but then I realized – I am not my father. /I am me./and that is enough./I am different./I am young./I still have light within my soul./I deserve to live without a weight on my heart./what did I learn?/I learned that I can be whoever I want to be./I am not a reflection of my father./I am me./and that is enough./I am different./I am me./