I Still Believe

I still believe that I might be the difference

That I might open my mind and crowd the planet with unseen opinions and theories

That should I open my heart I would pour out new beginnings along with new horizons

I believe I can make a change.

There are thousands upon thousands waiting

Waiting to beat upon the walls of tradition, upon the walls of strict oppression

Just pounding at their own thoughts of restrictions and limitations

I believe they can create a change.

A woman can strike out against the beliefs of society

She can shake lose that mentality of “I can not, I can not!”

She might push away that feeling of inferiority and scream from the rooftops, “But I Can!”

I believe that she can be the change.

We might, as a society, stop this squander over race, sex, and religion

We could be the generation to force out that prejudice, force it out although it is unwilling

Push it away, fight for its removal with our entire mind, with all of our ambitions and strength

I believe that we can generate change.

Although I am “poor, obscure, plain, and little” I am just as well off as Jane

I will find my own way, no matter the struggle

I shall break free of my shackles, rage against my own unhappiness to find a way

I might drag my feet through the sorrows but I will get to the other side, to change

I can be a change

I will construct change with my mind, my heart, my soul, my body

Though struggles crowd my future I will part them, change besides their want to oppress

I will not live without the belief that I might make a difference, that I might change a life or many lives or perhaps the world

I will be a change