Je suis Noire......

My skin is the skin that God put me in on the day that was the day of the 17th in the month of November the year being the one-thousand nine-hundred nintey-seventh year Anno Domini....

Why is it that I must defend my skin to those around me who wear theirs so proudly?

Why is it that I am told to wear certain clothes just to fit in?

Why would I ever conform to society when I was created with a mind to think and speak and say for myself?

How is it that others can demand that I rely on others when i was created readily able to rely on my own help to create my own wealth and knowledge?

When did it become okay to turn my back in shame to myself in hopes of becoming one of them?

Take away all of their money, clothes, make-up, tracks and weave, expensive Jordans, and bendable iPones. 

What is it they turn into?

What is there to take pride in?

I would take no pride in the falseness of their presentation to the world.

I would never want this falseness to be my own because I am already something different.

I embrace all of my faults and flaws without hiding them or pretending to not have any at all.

I wear my essence as naturally as I do my hair and wear no make-up on my face.

I do not hide from the world.

My skin is the skin God put me in on the day that way the day of the 17th in the month of November in the year being the one-thousand nine-hundred nintey-seventh year Anno Domini....

I am told just to fit in.

Why would I ever rely on others?

I was created to create my own wealth and knowledge.

To turn shame into pride I am different.

I embrace all without hiding my essence from the world.

I am an observer. I am an innovator. I am an artist. I am a singer. I am a rapper. I am a musican. I am a scholar. I am a woman. I am a teacher. I am a student. I am a speaker. I am a poet. 

I am happy.

I am love.

I am truth.

I am different.

Je suis Noire.....