The key to happiness

I've always been known as the girl who is always smiling, always walking with a pep in her step, and always laughing all the time 

I'm also the girl who has received tons of hatred from many people who don't understand my happiness 

I've been surrounded by words of criticism, labeled as " Naïve, dumb, and ignorant" Simply for being happy when there seems to be no good reason to be happy to others

WHY? Why is being happy with who you are and just being grateful that you're alive such a lame thing for kids my age? 

So many kids find it cooler just to say " My life sucks" and mope around, unhappy for the rest of their life

But how does that improve your life or anyone else's? The benefits to being happy and appreciating what you have in life are endless

Not only will you be happy with who you are, the people around you will be happy too, after all happiness is contagious 

If everyone in the world would spread happiness like some sort of rapid disease, we would surely achieve world peace within a year

If everyone in the world would spread the disease of hatred, we would only achieve total global destruction within a year

Everyone is handed their own sets of challenges and struggles to deal with every day of their life

Some people are dealt problems the size of a mountain, others are dealt problems the size of a small hill 

But everyone is dealt problems that will challenge them, yet not destroy them, none are too large to handle 

For people have climbed the largest mountains, and walked on the moon, surely we can all agree no problem is too big 

No situation or person controls your happiness, the only person who is in charge of that is you 

You can either smile and dance in the rain, or cry tear drops to match the raindrops 

Either way it's going to rain, Either way time will pass by, might as well be happy through it all